Sunday, August 17, 2008

Grease Monkey

My new front derailleur setup is done. I fabed up a small piece to test at Mohican and it did not break. The new setup is a Sram Force 35mm band clamp (forgotten, then found in my parts bin) not a braze on, this eliminates an extra bolt, some weight and makes for a stiffer derailleur. Even tough the band clamp models are lighter than braze on models with adapters my new setup is heavier at 130g but shifts much better. My old setup was a 7700 braze on Duraace that I modified to work as a top pull. It was a light setup at 96g but had a poor leverage ratio and made for a difficult shift.

Now that I know the Sram setup will work I will invest in a better derailleur (Red) and a better grade of aluminum for the arm. This will bring the weight down to a more pleasing 75g.

\

No comments:

 

html counter