Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Core Commuter

I thought I might post a few pics of my commuter bike. I have been commuting to and from work at Orrville Cycling for the last few years on this bike and I did not want to be outdone by fellow Fisher rider Travis and his city bike so here it is.

The bike has a long history. It started out as my moms 14spd and then my dads main road bike. The bike fell into my hands four years ago. I rode it as a club ride bike and a school commuter. Two years ago I removed all the gears and ran it as a single speed with a 52t font ring and a 17t cog. I rode it to school and on club rides for a summer and finally decided to put it on the fixed gear diet. I used a set of Bontrager Superstock wheels form my old X-Cal and ran two cogs. The inner most cog a 34t and the drive cog a 16t. I tied the 34t to the wheel with brake cable through the spokes and rode it like that for a few months. At the end of the summer I built up a set of tank fixed/free wheels to make the setup legit. That was the last major upgrade I made to the bike until lately.

The frame is an old Schwinn Voyager form who knows when and the fork is a cheapo out of the the back store room (crashed the original).

The bar is a cheap Aluminum 38cm in a classic bend. The computer is a broken digital watch that I have taped to the stem with packing tape. The light is a Cateye Single shot that I acquired through the shop. I have been testing it for the last few weeks and so far I have been very impressed. More to come on that later.
Velocity 32h Deep V rims laced to Surly hubs with DT Swiss black Champion spokes and Black Alloy nipples.
The drive train is made up of a mix of parts. Sugino 170mm Supermaxy cranks and 44t ring with Surly 3/32 16t cog being turned by a Sram 870 chain. I chose the 870 over the 850 because my chain is the most stressed part on my bike and skimping on the chain seemed foolish.

When commuting long distance
I normally use Crank Brothers Quattros but for town and stunt riding toe clips are the pedal of choice. They allow for a varied range of locking force from loose to super tight. They will never let your foot out when set super tight. This makes them great for power slides and riding downhill at high speeds, think 150rpm.
The milk crate is great for getting the weight off my back and looks sweet... kinda. One day a customer asked if I was Amish, I love it. The crate is fixed to the bike with a OLD Middleburn rack with zipties for ease of removal. The rear light is a Cateye LD-100 which is the best small blinky light I have come across. It bungees to the frame rack ...milk crate, whatever and never bounces off like other lights.

1 comment:

Barb said...

The black Voyager was bought for me by your dad (oldfish) in 1984 for $289.95. Believe it or not, I still have the receipt. We weren't married yet, but if he spent that much money on me, he must have been thinking about it!

Mom

 

html counter