Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Kicks Agian

The shoes are a 2006 Nike Altea II mens 42. They hit the scales at 583.5g stock, not bad at all. The fit was good, but they did not have that Sidi quality feel. The shoes do not have a tongue but have a stretchy piece of fabric that works better than a traditional tongue.


The shoes are VERY VERY stiff, they may be to stiff for a mountain shoe but I will find that out later.

Tread to be attached. Cut from a old Bontrager Jones AC tire.


The attachment process.

1. Scuff the desired area with either fine sandpaper or steel wool to roughen the clear coat and increase surface area for the glue.

2. Clean the tread and shoe with rubbing alcohol, let dry and apply glue. I used Shoe Goo but if that does not hold strong enough I will switch to an epoxy resin.

3.With the tread in place and glue applied tape the tread in place to apply pressure and hold the tread in position.

4. After 24 hours the glue should be cured and ready to walk on.

The finished Product weighs 652.6g, 5. Thats 127g lighter than the Carbon Dragons and a hell-of-alot stiffer.



A belly up picture of the shoe.

I am leaving for Moab on Saturday and will be testing the shoes for a weeks time on the trails there. I will be bringing my old shoes as a just in case option but hopefully I wont need them.

No comments:

 

html counter