Tuesday, July 29, 2008

OMBC Alum Creek

Alum creek has never been my favorite race but I'll talk anyways. The way the race runs is the Novice/Sport riders start at 11:00 and the experts start at 1:00 and because my dad is a sport rider had to come a little early. This allotted me some free time so I took some pictures and pre rode some of the course to get a feel for how dry it was going to be. I wound up swapping tires from a Karma 2.0/Dry X 1.8 to a Dry X 2.1/Dry X 1.8 after seeing how dry it was. Making this swap added 160g of rotational weight but I figured that fast rolling and large volume would be the better choice for the course.

I got a nice starting position and a horrible start. You can see in the picture below my right foot is unclipped. But after getting clipped back in I powered up to the front group and stayed there as we crossed the dam. After a super hairy ride across the dam( It seems mountain bikers cant pack ride very well) a few early attacks were launched leading up to the single track. I dropped back from 4th to 7th position as we entered the single track. I filled in behind Saeler`s wheel and fell back a little after a few unclipping incidents. Apparently my pedals/cleats are worn ou again. I was about 50' off Saelers wheel for the first two laps and at the start of the third lap he let me by saying that he was slowing me down... He was super hot on my wheel for half a lap and when I had a really hard pedal strike he went down with me. At that point I let him by but he waited a little so we could work together on the dam. After coming unclipped another million times I finally finished in 5th place expert and Sealer finished in 2nd in Vet Open.


Me followed closely by Saeler in the last mile.A picture of Tim Mould taken by dad.

No comments:

 

html counter