Saturday, June 21, 2008

"This is a Tough Race"

This is a tough race. I think Tim Carson said this a few times.

**Tired and sore

The race was the third Vultures knob Groovy series race, the weather was looking like rain and my tire was looking bald. I paid my entry fee and went out for warm up loops. The wind really started to pick up and the rain came down. The race was intended to begin at 6:00 but was delayed due to lightning and then delayed again for lightning, forty minutes later the race started.

The course had been cut down to a shorter and less dangerous loop with the removal of the over-under and the trail conditions had gone from gravy to poo in one hour. The field was stacked well, Carson, Walker, Twining, Clark and Wilhelm. I was looking at an up hill struggle. The race started and I entered the single track 6th. I soon moved up to 5th within the first mile and had almost captured forth by the end of the first lap. My legs were great, plenty of pop. My tires (Karma front, Crow rear) however were less able. I was taking corners sub muddy racing speed and was spinning the tire on the flats and downhills, my rear end was all over the place. A mile form the end of the first lap I crashed hard enough (my only crash) to take me out of the race. I was right on Clarks wheel and was pushing hard. My rear end got way off to the right in a downhill and when I hit the bridge at the bottom I fell and hit my knee on the bridge. Now I don`t want to be a skirt but it really hurt and I struggled to return to the start/finish area. My knee was looked at by Rody Walter, and was given an icebag to reduce swelling. (Thanks Rody) While waiting around I was told Brad DNF`d also, but due to bike problems. As the race went on more riders finished and DNF`d. There were a good number of DNF`s but I`ve seen much worse.

The Expert race finished something like this, Twining, Carson, Walker(who broke his shoe and switched with a spectator), Clark.

I would also like to make a special note that I am now riding for Gary Fisher Bikes, thanks to my friend and Trek inside sales Rep. Bob Myers.

New Kit, Pretty

Dr. Knob and Bubbles

Mr. Bonifant

...not really sure but he was on a 29er
Tim Carson.. Mr Blur

Dave Walker and his prototype shoe combination.

That big naked guy.

Tullis got a bo- boo, Rody assists in cleaning the wound, it could of used two stitches for sure.. Gnar.

Ryan Wayne Skinned his Knee pretty good by the looks of it.

1 comment:

Rody said...

Yo Whitney...sweet blog, glad you gave me the heads up on it. Ended up taking John down to the shop and throwing in 3 sutures...all closed up and ready for action. If we can keep him upright this season, he should have some good finishes :)

cheers,

rody

 

html counter